We live in a consumer society that is causing us to lose values that are good for our physical and mental health. People stop being supportive and are becoming more competitive. That is why we believe that enhancing physical activity in our students, group work in solidarity, and fair play is important to create a society in which it is easier to coexist.
In our schools we are facing the same problems of poor/wrong food habits, which increased in recent years with the obvious consequence of more and more obese children and youths and growing health problems in the population in general. Therefore we think it is imperious to start an active and efficient campaign of food literacy, so that we can make this progress recede while it’s time.
In this context, sport and physical education are fundamental for the development of youth and the skills learned during play, physical education and sport contribute to the holistic development of young people.
This process should be comprehensive, covering a great scope of areas of human activity in order to favour a balanced development of our students and help them to become responsible, creative, healthy and successful adults.
In this sense, our project aims at the strengthening of the values around the Olympic Games and it is addressed to students between 14 and 16 years of age.
Keeping these principles in mind our project is sustained under four main branches:
The benefits of sport reach beyond the impact on physical well-being and the value of the educational benefits of sport should not be under-estimated.
- Science. - Science applied to the practice of sport is also one of our aims: to make our students aware of the functioning of their own body, how it works and to what extent we are able to improve our physical fitness by training.
- Use of technology. - To make all these objectives possible we will make use of technology and their communicative and educational possibilities. We will create an e-twinning proyect and Twinspace and a Blog for the proyect.
2. SHARING OLYMPIC VALUES
Olympism aims at creating a way of life based on the joy found in effort, the educational value of good example and respect for fundamental ethical principles.
According to this view, our project aims at building a better and more peaceful world by educating youth through sport practiced without discrimination of any kind and in the Olympic Spirit.
- Fair Play. - Physical and mental well-being, is related to the values that sport transmit.
- Code of conduct. - It deals with the crucial role the educational system can play in the growth and cognitive and physical development of children and young people, as well as adults, throughout their lives.
3. HEALTHY LIFESTYLE
Alongside the competition and sporting aspect of the project, our intention is to issue a whole educational programme on the Olympic values, the benefits of sport for a healthy lifestyle, the social values sport can deliver and the dangers of smoking, alcohol, drugs and/or inactivity.
- Healthy diet. - It’s one of our most important objectives to make our students aware of the importance of a healthy and balanced diet along the project.
- Preserving the environment. - Sport can make a tangible contribution in the search for sustainable solutions by providing practical guidelines and strategies for implementation, globally but also locally.
4. CULTURAL EXCHANGE
Students will experience the culture and lifestyle of other European countries.
- Using English. - Pupils will use English in order to communicate with their European peers.
- Promoting European Identity. - Our schools will have the opportunity of sharing their national values with other European schools realizing in this way that there are more similarities among us than differences.
These ideas answer to a basic principle we would like to finish this general view of our proyect:
Training together and playing together is quick path to friendship and understanding.
This web page has been created to provide information about the Erasmus + project : KA2 " European Olympics", carried out by the following partners:
- IES "Rodríguez Moñino", Badajoz, Spain
- OS ZADOBROVA, Ljubliana, Slovenia.
- AGRUPAMENTO DE ESCOLAS FERNANDO DO PÓ, Bombarral, Portugal.
- 44 SECONDARY SCHOOL NEOFIT BOZVELI, Sofia, Bulgaria.